Stay Secure Online
Qantas Credit Union - Thursday 31st July, 2014
There are many advantages to shopping online-you can shop at any time, you don't need to worry about parking and your purchases are delivered to your door! Online auctions can be a lot of fun and can also help you find good deals.
But there are some security traps to watch out for. Use your common sense and some simple steps to ensure your online shopping is as safe as possible.
Trust your instincts
Most shoppers know the warning signs to look for when buying something in a shop. The same applies to shopping online. Be wary if:
- The website looks suspicious or unprofessional
- The website is offering bargains which look too good to be true, or
- You are not confident about their use of your information or that you will get what you pay for.
Before making the purchase
- Know who you are dealing with - check that contact details are correct.
- Know what you are buying - read the description of the product carefully, check the size, colour, value and safety of the product.
- Read all the fine print including refund and complaints handling policies.
- Check the currency, postage and handling and other charges - there may be extra charges you aren't aware of.
- Check the final cost before paying.
Making the payment
- Only pay via a secure web page (one that has a valid digital certificate). Look for the https at the beginning of the address bar and a locked padlock in the browser.
- Use a secure payment method such as PayPal, BPay, or your credit card. Avoid money transfers and direct debit, as these can be open to abuse.
- Never send your bank or credit card details via email - only via a secure web page.
- Always print and keep a copy of the transaction.
For more information the Australian Government has an excellent website that provides detailed information on the latest fraud preventions methods. You can visit Stay Smart Online at staysmartonline.gov.au.
Shop with protection
At Qantas Credit Union you can shop online with peace of mind knowing that we have ORION 24/7 card protection monitoring services on all our Visa Debit and Credit Cards.
For more information on our range of cards.
Loans are subject to approval. Terms and conditions and normal lending criteria apply. Terms and conditions available on request. Qantas Staff Credit Union Ltd trading as Qantas Credit Union | ABN 53 087 650 557 | AFSL / Australian Credit Licence 238 305