8 June 2021: The Australian Federation of Travel Agents (AFTA) today welcomed Austrade’s progress in updating the COVID-19 Consumer Travel Support Program and Round 2 Verification process with payments expected from next Monday for those with over $500,000 turnover.
AFTA in collaboration with CATO and ATEC has been working closely with Austrade to simplify the verification process for Round 2.
Updated Program Guidelines FAQs and other information, including eligibility and further details on exceptional circumstances appeals, are available on the Austrade website here.
Statement from AFTA Chair Tom Manwaring
“Following consultation with AFTA in collaboration with CATO and ATEC, we are pleased to share that the verification process for those applicants with a turnover >$500,000 has now been finalised. We are pleased that Austrade have listened to industry and simplified this process from the initial proposal.”
“Austrade have indicated that applicants should hear from them this week and that payments are scheduled to start flowing from next Monday, 14th June 2021.”
Media Contact: LJ Loch on 0488 038 555 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes for Editors;
The Australian Federation of Travel Agents (AFTA) is the peak body in Australia representing the retail travel industry. Founded in 1957, AFTA represents the majority of travel agents in Australia and includes all of the major travel agency groups.
AFTA is supporting the travel agency community, travelling public and travel suppliers to the best of our ability during this COVID-19 pandemic.
Australian travel agencies have been the hardest hit by the COVID-19 pandemic. These are the facts:
• 70% of international travel in Australia is booked through travel agents keeping money in Australia and generating taxes to benefit the Australian economy
• Prior to COVID, the industry has experienced year on year growth of 11% and maintained growth of 7.25% over the past five years
• In 2018-19, Australians spent over $46 Billion on international travel, representing the largest import sector of the Australian economy
• Each year travel agents collect taxes worth $1 Billion and contribute $28 Billion nationally to the economy
• 71% of the sector are women
• These are predominantly independently owned small businesses